What Should You Choose: Native app or Hybrid app?
Whether you’re a service provider or product provider, mobile applications have become a must thing to have for all businesses. Customers today want easy access to everything, the variety of products or services available, the prices of each product and service and the payment options available. Mobile applications have helped businesses in meeting up to these expectations, and today, you can hardly see any business without its own app.
However, when planning to develop an app for your business, you need to keep in mind certain factors, which help you decide the kind of app you need to meet your business requirements. Two of the most commonly available options to businesses are to develop a native app or a hybrid app. But how do you decide which one you should choose? In this blog, we’ll discuss the differences between native apps and hybrid apps and which factors you need to keep in mind while making your decision.
What is a native app?
Native apps are smartphone applications that are developed, using particular languages, for specific platforms/operating systems i.e., Android and iOS. They can be directly installed onto your device using application stores such as Apple’s app store and Google’s play store. The technologies usually used for Android development are Java or Kotlin, and for iOS development are Objective-C or Swift. WhatsApp and Pokémon Go are examples of native apps.
Benefits of native apps
There are a number of advantages of using native apps, some of which we have mentioned below:
- Decreased dependency: Native apps are not dependent on open source libraries or platforms like Ionic.
- Offline mode: Native apps work even if you do not have internet access or have limited access.
- No plugin requirement: Native apps allow access to device features and a variety of databases, without any need for plugins.
- Functionality: In terms of functionality, it is much easier to tap into the camera, microphone, etc. with native apps.
Drawbacks of native apps
Even though native apps have a significant number of advantages, there are a few drawbacks which are mentioned below:
- Additional time and effort: Since native apps are developed for particular platforms, it takes twice the time and effort to develop native apps for two different platforms.
- Additional costs: Different skill-sets may be needed for developing a native app for two different platforms, which ultimately increases your costs.
- Steps to download: The number of steps involved in downloading the app is too many which can seem like a tedious task for users.
Now that we have a clear idea about what native apps are and the benefits and drawbacks associated with native apps, let’s have a look at hybrid apps.
What is a hybrid app?
Benefits of hybrid apps
Among the numerous benefits of hybrid apps, some of the most prominent ones are:
- Internet access required: Unlike native apps, hybrid apps can not function offline and hence, require an internet connection constantly.
- Plugins required: Hybrid apps need native plugins in order to access native device features.
- Performance issues: The performance of hybrid apps is also not as good as the performance of native apps, which means certain apps, such as graphical applications, may not perform well as hybrid apps.
Which is better for your business?
The requirements and priorities of each business vary, which is why businesses must prioritize their needs first and then make the decision about the kind of app they require. Factors such as user experience, cost, time for development, skills of your developers etc. play a deciding role in this case. Having a clear plan about what you want your app to do for your customers can help you make an accurate decision.
If you’re thinking about developing an app for your business, then iTitans is here to help you throughout the process. Our team of talented developers can develop engaging applications, for all types of operating systems, ranging from iOS to Android, according to your business needs. Visit our website to know more about us!